The Qualifications module is an optional feature that can be used to track achievements or certifications that people have either completed, are completing, or are nominated to complete.
The Qualifications module provides two different modes of operation:
- Free text mode (the default)
- Pre-defined mode
The mode can be configured by administrators in Admin > Settings > General settings > Qualifications mode, and applies globally for the instance.
This article describes the operation of both modes.
Free text mode
Free text mode allows the entry of qualifications via a text field. This includes employees that have permission to update their own qualifications.
Generally, it is a more common use case to allow entry of Qualifications in free text. Qualification titles can be extensive and varied, with those variations continually evolving over time. Free text is a good choice when you want to accurately accommodate and track the wide and varying range of qualification titles that people may hold, whereas pre-defining a list can tend to restrict employees from entering the full and complete accurate information about their qualification title.
Adding Qualifications in Free text mode
In Free text mode, Qualifications are added via a Person's summary page. To add a qualification:
- Visit a person's summary page
- Click the "Qualifications" tab.
- If you don't see a Qualifications tab you may not have permission to view or edit that person's qualifications, or the Qualifications module may have been disabled by your Skills Base administrator.
- Click the "Add a qualification" button
- Enter a name, select a status, and optionally enter dates
- Click "Save"
The qualification will now show up on the Person's summary page as well as the Qualifications directory.
Note: To help with consistency and to reduce data duplication, as you type a qualification name a drop down list appears with matches of pre-existing qualifications in the system. This is in place to encourage people to select from the list if the qualification already exists.
Pre-defined mode allows administrators the ability to enter a pre-defined list of qualifications into the system as they would teams, role, locations and skills.
Adding Qualifications in Pre-defined mode
In Pre-defined mode, Qualifications are first added via the Qualifications Directory and then associated with a Person via their summary page.
To add a qualification:
Step 1: Create the Qualification record
- Click Directories > Qualifications
- Click "Add a new Qualification".
- If you don't see that button you may not have permission to add Qualifications.
- Enter the name and click "Save"
Step 2: Associate the Qualification with the person
- Visit the person's summary page
- Click the "Qualifications" tab
- Click "Add a qualification"
- Select the Qualification from the list
- Select a status, and optionally select dates
- Click "Save"
Disabling the Qualifications module
If you don't wish to use Qualifications in your Skills Base instance, the Qualifications module can be disabled by an administrator via Admin > Settings > Customizations > Enabled modules.